In spite of having great success and achievements in life, we all feel an acute need for inner peace, silence and a moment of inner reflection. Meditation is the missing key to unlock the treasure of happiness and bliss that we are carrying within us.
The benefits of Meditation are numerous. A few moments of deep meditation have the potential of fulfilling all desires and longings. It gives us the ability of deep introspection.
Meditation has many far-reaching and profound benefits. While some changes are seen immediately, others take a little time to be visible.
Meditation improves our physiological and psychological well-being. It has a healing effect and raises our level of consciousness.
Although there are numerous benefits of meditation, we can divide them into 3 categories -
Physiological Benefits of Meditation
1) Meditation reduces the heart rate, as well as the respiratory and metabolic rate. This helps to reduce the workload on the heart. It is highly beneficial for people suffering from high blood pressure.
2) Cortisol is often called the stress hormone and is related to a wide variety of health related problems - especially when it is in high levels in our body. Meditation lowers cortisol levels and provides relief from the adverse effects of cortisol
on our health.
Meditation helps to reduce stress in this way. It also reduces muscle tension and enhances the quality of living.
3) Regular practice of meditation reduces the creation of free radicals that are responsible for tissue damage and premature aging.
4) Meditation improves the breathing process. This helps to increase airflow to the lungs and has a revitalizing effect on our overall health. It enhances the level of strength, vigor and energy.
5) Meditation boosts the immune system and slows down the process of aging.
6) Meditation helps in reducing the symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome.
7) Meditation enhances the functioning of the brain. It is helpful in curing migraines, headaches, etc. and other neurological and nervous system problems.
Psychological Benefits of Meditation
1) Research has shown that stress is one of the major causes in almost all the physical and psychological problems that the modern man is facing. It points out that a lot of physical ailments also have their roots in emotional and psychological turmoil within.
Meditation is one of the best ways to lower the levels of anxiety and stress. It is very helpful in leading a healthy life free of any stress-related ailments.
2) Meditation enhances the level of creativity and intuition.
3) Meditation techniques help our mind to enter alpha, theta and delta waves
very easily, which are the basis of deep relaxation and stress-relief. It calms down the mind deeply and gives a relaxation that is deeper than deepest of sleep.
4) Meditation reduces anxiety, depression, moodiness, irritability and brings greater emotional stability. It helps to develop the willpower, boosts the level of self-confidence and helps foster a positive attitude
5) Meditation provides a deep level of physical, psychological and spiritual relaxation. It fosters a greater level of emotional equilibrium. Meditation techniques such as yoga nidra
are highly effective for achieving this equilibrium.
6) A regular practice of meditation improves memory and our learning ability. It also improves the level of concentration, focus and productivity. A good concentration is essential to achieve success and our peak potential in any field of life.
7) Meditation is a one of the best stress-busters. It improves the level of serotonin in our body. A low level of serotonin is the precursor to problems such as obesity, depression, headache and insomnia. Meditation brings more happiness and joy in life and gives the feeling of rejuvenation throughout the day.
8) Meditation benefits include overcoming fears and phobias. Their presence in life causes a lot of stress and ill health. It is also helpful in getting rid of habits such as alcohol addiction, smoking, etc.
9) Meditation improves the communication between both the hemispheres of our brain. This sharpens our intelligence and improves the perceptual ability.
10) Meditation reduces the dependence on sedative pills, drugs and other tranquilizers. It is very helpful in curing insomnia and sleep deprivation also.
11) Meditation enhances the level of tolerance and patience. It gives more integrity to our personality and makes us a more balanced person by improving our emotional maturity. It teaches us to live with equanimity amidst the day to day turbulence in life.
Spiritual Benefits of Meditation
1) Meditation helps us to find the inner source of happiness. It results from a total peace of mind. We come to know that happiness is not something that is found outside, but in fact it is within us at all times.
Meditation techniques help us to easily draw that happiness and bliss when we want to. It gives us the source of happiness that is not dependent on outer events and circumstances.
2) Meditation benefits us by improving the human qualities like compassion, self-actualization and gratitude.
3) Meditation improves our wisdom and provides a deeper understanding of our self and other people.
4) Meditation helps in a greater acceptance of our self and brings a more positive attitude towards life.
5) Meditation is the alchemy to attain enlightenment. It helps us to be totally rooted in the present moment and helps to overcome the habit of the mind to wander here and there.
6) In our general state of mind, we consider ourselves separate from the rest of the universe and are aware of only our ego and our body. Meditation benefits us by making us realize that we are a part of the universe and are united. This is the realization of cosmic consciousness. The first-hand experience of this reality gives us a glimpse of our true eternal nature.
Meditation is free of any kinds of side effects. There is nothing to lose by practicing meditation, but there is a lot to gain. It is very easy to learn and can be practiced at any time of the day.
Meditation gives such a joy and bliss, that one easily transcends all desires very naturally. Given the long list of benefits of meditation, you might be wondering -- "why haven't I started meditating yet?"
Meditation and Mind Control
- Discover How to Harness the Immense Potential of Your Mind & Be a Master of Your Destiny!Meditation and Memory Improvement
- Discover the Key to Enhanced Visual Memory, Concentration & Intelligence!