Tratak - Discover the Ancient Yogic Concentration Meditation for Achieving Sharper Memory, Outstanding Concentration & Blissfulness in Life!
Tratak is an excellent meditation technique to improve concentration and strengthen memory. It helps to bring the distracted mind towards a state of one-pointedness.
A continuous flow of thoughts goes on in our mind at all times. Our mind has the tendency to get distracted. This makes us feel scattered in different directions and we lack a feeling of integrity.
This inability of our mind to stay still at one point for even a few moments results in a lack of concentration. This also leads to a lower than optimal memory.
Students can highly benefit through the practice of Tratak as it significantly improves the level of concentration and retention of knowledge. Old people can enjoy a sharper memory.
Its regular practice improves confidence levels, leads to greater stability in thoughts and improves your ability to focus. Memory retention also improves and your ability to be aware, attentive and focused increases.
Concentration Meditation Technique of Tratak
1) Light a candle or an earthen lamp on a small table. Place it around 3 to 4 feet in front of you and sit in a comfortable posture looking at the direction of the candle. Make sure that the flame is at the level of your eyes.
It is important that the flame burns steadily during the concentration meditation. So, make sure that the air around is calm and there is no breeze around of any kind.
2) You can sit in any meditation posture which is comfortable. You can also sit on a chair to practice this concentration meditation. Make sure to keep your spine erect as that helps in better concentration and focus.
3) Take a few deep breaths to relax yourself and anchor your self in the present moment. Now, gaze at the flame and keep your gaze on it without getting distracted towards outer disturbances and thoughts.
Keep your vision focused and steady on the flame without blinking, for as long as it is comfortable to you. Try to avoid any kind of body movement during the concentration meditation.
4) Keep your gaze anchored on the flame, and not the candle or wick. When thoughts arise, ignore them and maintain your awareness and concentration on the flame. Do not blink while you are gazing at the flame.
5) Continue to gaze at the flame till the point where you cannot keep your eyes open and tears start flowing out of your eyes. Once this happens, you can close your eyes and start visualizing the after-image of the flame with closed eyes - at the point between the eyebrows at the center of the forehead (the third eye).
6) The depth and level of your concentration will determine how clear the after-image is. If you cannot visualize the after image of the flame with closed eyes, or it wavers or looses clarity, then re-apply your concentration to restore the position of the after-image.
When the image begins to fade out completely, you can open your eyes and you can repeat the gazing on the flame again.
7) You can begin with Tratak concentration meditation from 5 to 10 minutes initially up to 20 minutes. Advanced meditators can practice for longer durations.
Benefits of Tratak Concentration Meditation Practice
-- improves concentration, intelligence and memory.
-- enhances self-confidence, patience and willpower.
-- develops greater work efficiency and productivity.
-- calms the mind and provides inner peace and silence.
-- brings greater clarity in mind and improves decision-making ability.
-- improves the eyesight and vision.
-- helps to overcome mental, behavioral and emotional ailments.
-- provides stress relief and deep relaxation.
-- deepens the sleep and cures sleep related disorders such as insomnia, nightmares, etc.
Tips for Tratak Concentration Meditation
1) The concentration meditation technique of Tratak is best practised during early-morning hours or night hours. If you practice it during the daytime, then make sure that the room is dark, so that focusing on the flame is easier.
2) Try getting a decent sized flame by adjusting the size of the wick. It shall help in achieving a better after-image of the flame and it will be easier to visualize it with improved concentration.
3) Do not strain your eyes while gazing on the flame. The eyes adjust naturally in due course of time and it becomes easier to concentrate and gaze on the flame for longer periods of time.